Scan your brain activity for more precise diagnosis and treatment
EEG scan test is a medical painless procedure for measuring brain electrical activity using electrodes with wires that a doctor will attach to the patient’s head to help diagnose various health conditions or identify changes in brain activity. Obtaining wave lines, a medical specialist can determine if there is abnormal brain activity and provide adequate therapy.
Why you need electroencephalography tests
Using EEG test New Your services, it is possible to diagnose different types of disorders to determine the correct treatment program. A doctor may ask you to go through the brain scan process in the following cases:
- when diagnosing epilepsy;
- when examining the causes of headaches and paroxysmal disorders like spinning dizziness or seizures;
- to analyze conditions after a stroke;
- impaired memory, attention, intellectual deterioration;
- endocrine pathologies;
- traumatic brain injury in order to study the brain recovery process;
- for various sleep disorders (insomnia, drowsiness, frequent nighttime awakenings, etc.);
- in children, in cases of behavioral issues, a lack of attention, problems with speech development;
- to deal with mental disorders of various kinds (behavioral, neurotic, psychosomatic, emotional and others);
- to assess the effectiveness of anticonvulsant therapy and the selection of optimal therapeutic drug dosage.
Vital information a patient must be aware of before the EEG scan procedure
Contraindications to the procedure: being a non-invasive procedure, the EEG test has no contraindications. The only thing that can prevent its implementation is head injuries, acute infectious processes, or postoperative sutures that have not healed yet.
Electroencephalogram is absolutely safe: some patients are openly afraid of the upcoming brain waves scanning, as sensors with wires will be placed on your scalp ready to read everything that is happening inside the cranium. However, EEG test New York sleep specialists assure that brain investigation is risk-free, has no restrictions on age, and has no side effects;
No special EEG preparation is required, but it’s still better to consider a few preparation tips, so the specialist could obtain accurate test results:
- the physician should advise the patients whether they should discontinue planned medication;
- the results can be influenced by the caffeinated products; therefore, it is prohibited to drink coffee before the test;
- anti-anxiety medications also affect results, so it is advisable to consult your doctor on their usage;
- you must wash your hair and avoid applying some additional products like conditioner, masks, gels, oils, etc.;
- you may receive instructions to stay awake all night or sleep only for a couple of hours before the scanning in case you are supposed to sleep during the EEG procedure, as some abnormal activities are impossible to detect unless the patient is asleep.
Following the development and innovations of medical technologies, our Advanced Medical Care team is ready to provide high-quality EEG test New York services, and, as a result, more precise treatment and better results. Our healthcare provider will explain how the procedure looks like and what to expect. Following the simplest directions, you will get personalized services from dedicated specialists for whom your health is the top priority.
FAQ about Electroencephalography
When would you use electroencephalography?
Having symptoms of brain disorders and health issues, such as epilepsy, the neurologist may order a procedure for such an individual for detecting electrical activity in the brain that deviates from what is normal or usual. Inflammatory processes, changes and damage of blood vessels, or tumors can also be diagnosed with the help of the EEG method. Obtaining the reading of the medical test, a doctor will be able to:
- analyze the brain performance;
- diagnose an array of diseases;
- determine the nature of occurred pathologies;
- assess the degree of the damage;
- monitor the effectiveness of the prescribed treatment.
The examination for measuring electrical impulses in the brain also can be useful for determining root causes of other issues, such as insomnia and troubles with sleep or a behavioral change that can be a sign of a serious mental disorder that requires immediate neurological care and a competent strategy for maintaining well-being and restoring a cognitive function. Suffering from symptoms of head injury, the test is also imperative to evaluate how much your brain has been damaged and to develop treatments for preventing poor outcomes and regaining neuroplasticity.
What can EEG primarily detect?
If a patient has complaints, such as constant headaches, sleep problems and frequent awakenings, extreme tiredness and chronic fatigue, unexplained dizziness and a sensation of spinning around, then an EEG test may be required, so the medical specialist can understand what is wrong with your brain waves and what are the triggers for the occurrence of such symptoms. Usually, the mentioned signs warn about the following disorders:
- vegetative dystonia;
- disorders of the heart;
- cerebral circulation disorders;
- epilepsy and seizure disorders;
- pathology of the vessels of the neck and head;
- inflammatory processes (meningitis and encephalitis);
- endocrine disorders.
The EEG procedure is essential for accurate diagnosis, understanding what causes neurological problems, or evaluation of the effectiveness of therapy and rehabilitation (in this case, the EEG is taken before the start of treatment, and then during or after a course of medication). This is the most informative and accessible examination method that does not harm the patient and can be used safely without contraindications and side effects. To get the correct EEG results, some preparation is recommended. Also, don’t forget to tell your doctor if you are taking anticonvulsants or sedatives.
How is sleep used in electroencephalography?
EEG is a widely used diagnostic study that allows assessing the work of the brain and identifying various neurological and mental problems. Along with the usual procedure, sleep EEG monitoring is often prescribed. Sleep during medical assessment helps doctors to receive more comprehensive and accurate readings. Such an approach will make it easier to spot and analyze the causes of sleep disturbances in a patient who suffers due to an array of sleep troubles.
Thus, observing and checking your brain activity while sleeping can help a specialist to spot hidden functional changes in the brain that may lead to the inability to fall asleep and stay asleep, determine the key triggers of habitual sleeplessness, and analyze other disorders, including snoring and apnea (respiratory arrest), sleepwalking (somnambulism), etc.
What happens if EEG is abnormal?
EEG is a rather simple and safe method of investigation that does not require intervention in the patient’s body and has high diagnostic accuracy. Revealing even the smallest unusual activity ensures a quick decision on the choice of therapy and gives the patient a chance for restoring performance levels, alleviating symptoms, fighting the diagnosed disorder, and living healthy.
However, competent decoding and evaluation of the EEG results are crucial for making the right diagnosis and designing a smart and efficient treatment scheme that will lead to recovery and health repair. So if the readings deviate from standard measures, then such unusual brain activity is assessed to determine which disorder affects your brain, nervous system, heart, etc.