Trigeminal neuralgia symptoms and prevention measures
What is trigeminal neuralgia? Trigeminal neuralgia is a very common disease. It is revealed by severe discomfort, as well as autonomic disturbances in the work of facial and chewing muscles, as well as autonomic difficulties. Both trigeminal nerves cover almost the entire face and can cause trigeminal neuralgia pain.
Trigeminal neuralgia primary reasons
- Pressure aboard intracranial arteria (anterior inferior cerebellar arteria, dilated basilar arter).
- Random, venous loop propulsion, the basis of the V couple of the cranial (trigeminal) nerve at the entry to the head stem.
- Atypical trigeminal neuralgia origin lies in swelling and occasionally congeries pathology with plaque genesis at the foundation entry (normally in junior patients), however, these incidents are normally decided by sensory disorganization and supplementary syndrome.
Diagnostics trigeminal neuralgia symptoms and clinical evaluation
The syndrome is basically pathognomonic. So, to identify illness accompanied by facial trigeminal neuralgia pain, it is crucial to create a differential designation supported on clinical fact:
- Chronic paroxysmal hemicrania (Shostad syndrome) is specified by the continued time of painfulness (five to eight minutes) and an astonishing answer to indomethacin.
- Postherpetic agony is specified by firmness (without seizing), old rashes, scars and a tendency to hurt the basic branch are common in atypical trigeminal neuralgia.
- In migraines as trigeminal neuralgia symptoms, which can be guided by atypical facial discomfort, diverse unremitting, and regular pulse.
When to see a specialist?
If you have only one or any trigeminal neuralgia symptoms, you need to see your doctor in nearest time. It may be the first bell for another serious medical condition. In the neurological pathologies treatment, thorough and prompt diagnosis is crucial. This is done by a neurologist, to whom you can make an appointment in the clinic. The specialist knows not only how to get trigeminal neuralgia symptoms to relieve, but also how to diagnose it correctly to prescribe effective treatment in the future.
Trigeminal neuralgia treatment
Therapy after getting the in-depth knowledge of what is trigeminal neuralgia may include drug therapy, surgery, and complex treatment. Drug therapy is aimed at relieving pain symptoms. Treatment can be long (six months or more).
Drugs for the trigeminal neuralgia treatment:
- antiepileptic drugs prescribed to relieve pain;
- muscle relaxants while trigeminal neuralgia causes;
- small doses of tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline);
- B vitamins (B1, B6, B12);
- antibacterial (if there are contraindications);
Prevention of trigeminal neuralgia causes is not as complicated as it seems to be. In order to reduce the risk of developing pathology majority of doctors recommend conducting such complex approach:
- make preventive tests and checkups regularly;
- at the first signs of the disease, ask for professional treatment for trigeminal neuralgia (the earlier treatment is started, the greater its effect will be);
- eat properly, get the required number of vitamins, minerals, unsaturated fatty acids;
- systematically take part in gymnastics or light sports;
- rest and sleep well;
- minimize stress and physical overload while treatment for trigeminal neuralgia;
- prevent hypothermia;
- exclude bad habits.
For the authorized therapy of the trigeminal nerve to be as successful as possible, it is vital to tell the specialist in detail about your indications.